Our possibilities are limited only by our degree of determination.

From:
Profiles in Success: Reflections on the Community College Experience. 
American Association of Community and Junior Colleges, Washington, D.C.

In September 1989, letters were sent to the presidents and public information officers of each member college of the American Association of Community and Junior Colleges (Washington, D.C.) asking them to identify outstanding graduates who might be interested in composing short essays describing their community college experience. More than 190 colleges in 39 states responded. The essays presented in this collection were selected from a total of over 500 submissions because they represented quality writing, a broad geographic distribution, and the diverse populations served by community colleges.


Michael H. Farmer 
Greenville Technical College, SC 

I am one of those fortunate persons who make their livelihood enjoying themselves. 

As a high school chemistry teacher, I experience challenges and rewards every day, find fulfillment and satisfaction, and realize goals and accomplishments. I feel that my job is important; a link between past insights and future discoveries, youth and maturity, problems and solutions. 

My work is both career and passion--which after 17 years shows no sign of diminishing. The path to contentment was not direct, smooth, or easy. Thirty years ago, as a misdirected high school graduate, I had no intention of continuing my formal education. My parents and peers saw no value in more schooling and believed that getting a job was the best choice for me. I generally agreed, applied to work at a local auto battery factory, and resolved to "work hard and make good."

 It was a supervisor who interrupted my unambitious plans, encouraged me to enroll in the chemical technology program at Greenville Technical College, and set in motion a series of events that were to change t1 direction of my life. The first course in chemistry led to others; part -time classes became a full-time program; random study evolved into degree commitment.

 I was elected student body president and served as editor of the first yearbook. I set new goals: more technical expertise, a better paying job, improved social status. I graduated with honors from the associate degree program, became a supervisor with a synthetic fibers company, and settled back to reap the benefits of my accomplishments. 

My "settling" was short-lived. The classes at Tech proved to be a beginning rather than an end; the instruction I received was a catalyst rather than conclusion. My instructors encouraged me to seek higher goals, and when Clemson University opened a two-year extension program on the Tech campus, I enrolled in a baccalaureate degree program. When I received my degree in chemistry two years later, I again sensed the event was not a conclusion, but another beginning.

During my years at Tech and Clemson, I became convinced of the importance of education and felt a desire to become a part of the profession that uniquely touches the future. I chose to become a teacher.

In the 17 years since I made that decision, there have been no regrets, only reassurances. I've completed a master's degree program, begun work on a doctorate, received numerous state and national awards, and influenced hundreds of young people. I am forever reminded of how important a teacher's role is in influencing others.

 I hope that I can perpetuate what my Tech instructors taught me - that our possibilities are limited only by our degree of determination.

Michael H. Farmer graduated from Greenville Technical College in 1970 with a degree in chemical technology and is now living in Tigerville, SC. He is a high school chemistry teacher at Riverside High School in Greer, SC. He received the Human Relations Award from the Greenville County Education Association;  the Award for Excellence in Secondary Science Teaching from the South Carolina Academy of Science, and the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science and Mathematics Teaching

No comments:

Post a Comment