The importance of asking why......

I'm a 1977 graduate of Riverside High School.  Dr. Mike Farmer was my chemistry  teacher during my senior year and one of the things I always recall Mike telling us  seniors as he prepared us for college is that "college is just hard high school."  Mike  was wrong.  His high school class was hard, very hard...and it was harder than any  course I ever took in college.  Now, I readily admit I was not the brightest element in the  periodic table.  In fact, Perry Grubbs, who was my 10th grade math teacher, has long  since forgotten that I stopped understanding math when the alphabet got involved.  So,  chemistry really challenged me...but I was smart enough to sit beside Berta (Hamby)  Hopkins, herself a future science PhD and colleague of Mike's, and I got much of my  remedial chemistry education from her.

I did make it through chemistry and I went on to college, had a long career as a USAF  officer, earned a couple of advanced degrees and now I teach online in the graduate  program for the USAF's Air University...but to this day, I consider earning my "C" in  Mike's class as my biggest academic achievement.  And while I don't remember much  about chemistry I've always recalled the most important thing Mike taught me and that's  how to approach life.  This was perfectly illustrated in a simple story he once told us.   Seems there was a newly married couple.  One day the husband was watching his new  bride preparing some bacon she was about to fry and she was cutting off both ends of  the bacon.  "Why are you cutting off the ends," he asked?  She said, "that's the way my  mom did it."  So the next time they were with her mother they asked her why she cut the  ends off the bacon before frying it.  "That's the way my mom did it," she replied.  Well,  the next time they were all together with the grandmother they asked her why she cut  the ends off of the bacon before frying it.  "My, my children," grandma replied, "the  reason I cut off the ends of the bacon was so it would fit in my frying pan!" 

   Of course the point of Mike's story was to illustrate the importance of asking why?  To  not accept the status quo.  To be inquisitive. To look deeper.  To think.  It's a lesson I  took with me into the Air Force.  Over the years as I rose in rank I had more and more  officers working for me and many were young lieutenants recently out of college.  As  they'd transfer into my unit, I'd sit down with them to share my leadership philosophy  and at some point I'd tell the "bacon story" my high school chemistry teacher told me as  an example of how I wanted them to approach their duties.  Back in 2012 when we had  the Riverside charter classes reunion, I shared this story with Mike and I think he was  genuinely touched.



   We, the former students of teachers, are part of their legacy...and for the good  teachers like Dr. Mike Farmer, his legacy is exponentially larger because his impact was  so widespread.  Mine is but one life he impacted and I'm honored to have known and  learned from  this great man. 

Contributed by 
Ken Lynn, 
Colonel, USAF (Ret.) 
Riverside High School 
Class of 1977

No comments:

Post a Comment